For Mother, It's not always possible to breastfeed baby, and we know that it is very difficult to find advice on bottle feeding your child due to strict World Health Organisation rules for marketing formula. As we knowthat breast feeding is the best feeding in the world.
Benefits for Parents
As long as your baby is happy and healthy.Once you have decided to bottle-feed, you either use expressed breast milk or artificial milk also called formula
Advantages of bottle-feeding
- It can be easier to regulate a routine with this comes an easier way to regulate a routine knowing when your baby is hungry and when she is fussing because she is tired
- If you are bottle-feeding your baby, you know exactly how much milk your baby has had.
- You do not need to be present each time the baby has to be fed; some other family member or friend can also feed the baby.
- Your social life does not need to be curtailed. You can resume your normal life.
- It is less uncomfortable, bottle feeding doesn't come with the pain that breastfeeding does, including engorgement, cracked nipples.
- It can be less embarrassing to feed in public
- It's less demanding. Breastfed babies often want to feed more often, not only because they are hungry but for comfort as well.
- You can choose what to feed your baby. There are plenty of different formula options out there, some which contain extra ingredients, are hypo-allergic etc.
The basic ingredient in most commercial baby milk preparations is cow's milk which has been modified to make it as similar to mother's milk as possible. Select a formula that is closest to human milk in composition, i.e. in the types and proportions of proteins, fats, sugars, sodium, etc. Choose a formula that dissolves easily in boiled water without leaving any granules. Special formulas are available for babies with milk allergies or metabolic disorders. Do not use any formula without the approval of your baby's physician.
select the right formula
Preparing baby formula
- Wash your hands with soap and water and dry using a clean cloth
- Wash all feeding and preparation equipment thoroughly in hot soapy water.
- Use a clean bottle and teat brush to scrub the inside and outside of bottles and teats to make sure that all remaining feed is removed from the hard-to-reach places.
- Measure the required amount of water (which you have boiled and allowed to cool) into your sterilized bottle.
- Boil tap water and leave it to cool for no longer than half an hour.
- Pour the required amount of water into the bottle.
- Add the right number of scoops to the bottle with the scoop provided, using a clean knife to level it off.
- Put on the teat and cover and give the bottle a good shake until all the powder has dissolved.
How long is formula safe at room temperature?
- Formula is safest if it is taken out of the refrigerator, warmed up and then fed to your baby right away.
- Make sure the bottle is used within 2 hours of being taken out of the refrigerator.
- Always throw out any formula left in the bottle after each feed. Do not put the bottle back in the refrigerator or feed your baby leftover formula later.
- Throw out any unused prepared formula that has been at room temperature for 2 or more hours